Meditation on the Noosphere
The Noosphere can function only by releasing more and more
spiritual energy with an ever higher potential.
—Teilhard de Chardin, The Future of Man
This exercise can be done by anyone, alone or preferably in a group.
- Sit in meditation posture with spine straight, hands on knees. Clear your mind, dissolving all thoughts with your exhalation—it matters not what the thought, especially all thoughts of subjective attachments, likes, dislikes, etc. Give yourself at least five minutes, much longer if you can. The goal is to get some glimpse of a calm, serene, lucid, and peaceful awareness.
- Then, visualize the whole Earth as if from outer space. See it spinning, a swirling blue and white ball, a synchronic unity, always simultaneously night and day. Feel its dispassionate embrace of all beings and everything comprising its biosphere without exception, without praising or blaming anyone or anything. Place the whole Earth spinning within your heart just as it is seen from space.
- Now feel into the disparity between the human in its limited, provincial partiality and the whole Earth. Feel the suffering, the hungry, the poor, the sick, the refugees, feel the confusion and the misery, the alienation, the anger and the frustration that are part and parcel of the limited provincial mind-sets. Then think: This suffering is unnecessary, caused by wrong views of reality and ignorance of our planetary nature and role on this whole Earth.
- Next practice breathing in the darkness, ignorance, sickness, and suffering, and transmute it all into light in the core of your being, which is the core of the Earth. As you exhale, breathe out light, consciousness, objectivity, compassion, and love to every being on Earth without exception, embracing everyone and everything just as the Earth does. Especially embrace those whom you think might be your enemies. Dissolve them in the light of your love.
- Practice taking in the suffering and breathing out the light for maybe ten minutes. Feel in yourself the lucid, impartial, universal compassion of the Earth as being no different than your own consciousness. Really feel it. This is the first step to activating the noosphere. Then proclaim: “I am one with the Earth; the Earth and my self are one mind.” Repeat this slowly several times; imprint it. Learn to breathe with the Earth; untie the knots.
Have nearby a globe, an Earth flag, or picture of the whole Earth from space.
This is how you can begin to overcome your ego and merge your consciousness into the noosphere and become a noospheric activator.
This meditation is from Manifesto for the Noosphere: The Next Stage in the Evolution of Human Consciousness, now available at Amazon.com.